Goodwill Offers PAID Training Program for Older Workers
The Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) provides older workers access to job skills training. Participants may train up to 20 hours per week and are paid the highest of federal, state or local minimum wage. Services are available in the following regions of South Carolina:
- Upstate (Anderson, Oconee, Pickens, Greenville, Spartanburg, Cherokee and Union counties)
- Upper Savannah (Greenwood, Laurens, Edgefield, Abbeville, McCormick, Newberry, and Saluda counties)
- Lower Savannah (Aiken and Barnwell counties)
- Midlands (Fairfield, Kershaw, Lexington, and Richland counties)
- Catawba (Chester, Lancaster, and York counties)
- Pee Dee (Chesterfield, Darlington, Florence, and Sumter counties)
- Waccamaw (Dillon, Marion, Georgetown, and Horry counties)
- Assessment of Interests, Skills and Abilities
- Assistance with Development of an Employment Plan
- Support and Connection to Resources and Specialized Training
- Assistance with Finding and Keeping Employment
Possible Training Sites
Participants are placed in a wide variety of positions including, but not limited to, the following: nonprofit organizations, state and local government agencies, hospitals (administrative role), public schools and libraries.
- Must be age 55 or older
- Meet family income requirements
- Currently unemployed and with poor employment prospects
- Reside in county where the program operates
Participants receive $7.25 per hour while in training at their host sites and, in addition, participate in work readiness and other occupational and employability skills training. The average time a participant is in the program is 27 months; however, there are occasions when a person can participate in SCSEP for up to 48 months. As participants complete or exit the program, the empty slot is filled with another individual.
Let Goodwill help you get on-the-job training. We will connect you with a local nonprofit or another community service agency, where you will get paid to build work experience. Then, Goodwill will help you take the skills you have learned and advance into permanent employment.
Please email email@example.com or call 864.593.6984 or toll-free at 877- LETSWRK (877.538.7975).
Host Agencies and Employers
Interested in becoming a SCSEP host agency or employing SCSEP participants? Reach out to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 803.448.2581 or toll-free at 877-LETSWRK (877.538.7975).
*Priority is given to persons over 60 years of age, Veterans, and individuals with the greatest economic need.
Goodwill® proudly participates in the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP), a national employment and training program funded by the U.S. Department of Labor. A $22,011,223 grant from the U.S. Department of Labor provided 90 percent of the funding for Goodwill’s SCSEP programs in the program year 2020. Goodwills provided the remaining 10 percent through in-kind contributions worth $2,201,122. See http://www.goodwill.org/scsep for funding details. Goodwill Industries of Upstate/Midlands South Carolina, Inc. received a subaward of $2,164,008 and is contributing in-kind contributions valued at $252,256 to cover the remaining 10 percent of operational costs.