Certified Food Service Training Program
This program provides five weeks of classroom curriculum and on-the-job training in the food service industry. Work readiness curriculum includes resume development, workplace professionalism, mock interviews, work ethics, basic computer skills, communications, and financial management. The food service curriculum includes instruction in food preparation, safe food handling, storage and serving of food, cash handling, customer service, and workplace safety.
The program prepares students for a career in the food service industry, including nationally-recognized ServSafe® certification by the National Restaurant Association (NRA). Goodwill provides assistance in job searching – including access to Job Connection resources and personalized guidance from a case manager — but employment is not guaranteed.
Work Readiness Curriculum: 25 hours
Work Experience: Up to 30 hours per week for 4 weeks, $7.25/hour
- Case Management
- Assistance With Job Search and Placement Services
- Post-employment Services
Classes average ten students and participants must meet these requirements:
- Criminal Background Check
- At Least 18 Years of Age
- Lift Up to 70 Pounds
- Stand for Long Durations
- Minimal Visual and Hearing Limitations
- Negative Drug Screen
- Demonstrate Appropriate Math and Reading Level(s) — Test for Adult Basic Education (TABE) Assessment or Bronze level or higher WorkKeys
If accepted, participants must attend orientation and successfully complete work readiness curriculum before beginning skills training.
Goodwill Industries reserves the right to make the final selection on all students due to limited space in the training program.
Columbia Area Students
- Work readiness training locations vary.
- Work experience generally occurs local grocery stores.
Greenville Area Students
- Work readiness training is held at 115 Haywood Road in Greenville.
- Work experience generally occurs at SUBWAY at 115 Haywood Road and local food service entities including cafeterias, fast food restaurants and grocery stores.
- Life skills and work readiness trianing also provided by the CC Pearce Culinary School/Project Host. This is a 6 week class that includes hands-on training and is taught with a focus in commericial food service.