MONEY, PERSONAL ASSETS, AND OTHER FINANCIAL GIFTS
Every donation does a world of good.
Goodwill isn’t just about old jeans and ancient sofas. Cash donations, bequeaths and other financial gifts are another way to give it good. Gifts to Goodwill – however large or small – are tax deductible and fund effective, local programs that help people find jobs, improve skills or discover new opportunities.
Consider the many ways you can support our mission with a financial gift that reflects your values:
- Check or Money Order: Make a quick and easy gift by simply writing a check and mailing it to Goodwill Industries of Upstate/Midlands SC (GIUMSC). You get the charitable deduction and this removes the cash from your taxable estate. Please make checks payable to Goodwill Industries of Upstate/Midlands South Carolina and mail to:
Goodwill Industries of Upstate/MIdlands South Carolina
Attn: Fund Development
115 Haywood Road
Greenville, SC 29607
Give it good in memory. If you would like to honor someone with a unique gift that does a world of good in the community, please include the person's name and the type of gift (In Honor or In Memory). Would you like us to send an acknowledgement letter? We'd love to - just include the full mailing address, too.
- Online: Even easier, make an online gift. Same benefit as writing a check but it saves you the postage.
- Securities: Avoid the taxes on appreciated securities by giving them to Goodwill Industries of Upstate/Midlands SC (GIUMSC). You can avoid the new net investment tax since the capital gain would be excluded from your income. You also receive the charitable deduction based on the fair market value of the stock.
- Real Estate: You can make a gift of real estate to Goodwill and take the charitable deduction, and also avoid the new net investment tax since the capital gain would be excluded from the income.
- Personal Property: If you have appreciated personal property, consider donating it to Goodwill. Federal tax laws require that you get written appraisals for items valued over $5,000. And, you get a tax deduction for your generosity to Goodwill.
- Retirement Assets: You may want to consider a gift of a portion of your retirement assets. This allows you to make a gift of your more highly taxed assets, leaving other valuable assets for your family. If this sounds like a good option for you, designate GIUMSC in your will as the beneficiary of your IRA. Your attorney can help you do this.
- Designate Goodwill in Your Estate: You can also designate Goodwill Industries for a percentage of your total estate. Speak with your attorney about how to do this, or contact us for more information about Legacy Giving and The Helms Society. (You may also complete this Donor Statement of Intent and mail to Jocelyn Slaughter, Director of Development at GIUMSC, at the address above or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Charitable Gift Annuity: If you want to make a gift now but want a steady income stream during your lifetime, consider a Charitable Gift Annuity. This type of gift provides fixed payments for life and also provides current and future income tax savings.
- Charitable Remainder Trust: A Charitable Remainder Trust is similar to a Charitable Gift Annuity except that your deduction fluctuates with your trust’s value each year. At the end of your lifetime, the remainder of funds goes to Goodwill Industries of Upstate/Midlands SC. Both make excellent gifts to Goodwill. A conversation with your trusted financial advisor and/or attorney is recommended for either a Charitable Gift Annuity or a Charitable Remainder Trust.
These gift options offer you a number of ways to support the Goodwill mission and help put South Carolinians back to work. The information provided is intended to give you some alternatives to consider if you want to play a greater role in helping the Power of Work change the lives of unemployed people in South Carolina. If one or more of these options looks appropriate for your personal financial situation, speak with your attorney, accountant or trusted financial advisor regarding your intention to support Goodwill with a financial gift.
Want more information? Have questions? We're here to help, just give Jocelyn Slaughter a ring at 864.351.0118 or email us at email@example.com.